Beef & Sweet Pepper Kebobs With Salsa Verde & French Lentils
by Andres Moncayo, Chef, Dean and Deluca, Charlotte, North Carolina
- 1 pound Certified Piedmontese sirloin, tenderloin, or kebob beef, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 8 mini sweet peppers
- 1 teaspoon Maldon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Assemble skewers, alternating beef and peppers. Drizzle skewers with oil and season with salt. Grill skewers over high heat to desired doneness, about 5 to 8 minutes for medium-rare. Serve with Salsa Verde and Lentil Salad (recipes follow).
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- ¼ Vidalia onion
- ¼ green pepper
- 1 egg
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup olive oil
In a blender, combine all ingredients, except oil. Process until finely chopped. Then, with the blender running, add oil until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 cups French green lentils
- ¼ cup (¼-inch diced) yellow onion
- ¼ cup (¼-inch diced) celery
- ¼ cup (¼-inch diced) carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
In a medium pot, sauté all the vegetables in oil for 3 minutes. Add the wine and the lentils. Cook until the wine has reduced by half. Add the water, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
Pairing: Hot Rod Red from Aviator Brewing Company. It’s a somewhat classic Irish red ale that’s feisty and a bit hoppy; it has a malty sweetness and a somewhat dry finish.