Blackened Piedmontese Strip With Green Chile Mashed Potatoes
by Victor Matthews, Chef , Black Bear Restaurant, Green Mountain Falls, Colo.
- 4 Certified Piedmontese New York Strip steaks
- Blackening Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- 3 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 5 tablespoons salt
- Green Chile Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds golden potatoes
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 roasted green chile peppers, chopped*
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
Mix blackening seasoning ingredients thoroughly. Coat each steak with the seasoning and sear in hot black iron skillet (1 to 2 minutes per side). Finish cooking in a 350°F oven if more than medium-rare is desired.
Boil the golden potatoes until soft, drain.
Mix potatoes with heavy cream, granulated garlic, roasted chiles, salt, and white pepper.
Serve steak against a nice pile of potatoes. Finish with melted butter.
*How to roast chile peppers:
Preheat a broiler to high. Coat the peppers with a little olive oil and place on a foil-lined baking pan. Place the pan under the broiler. Flip the chiles over after a couple minutes until all sides of the chiles are charred, blistered, and black (about 10 minutes total). Remove chiles from the broiler and let rest for 15 minutes. Using your fingers, gently peel off the skin and remove the seeds.