Brie, Mushroom & Caramelized Onion Burger
by Richard Blake, Chef, Laurelwood Brewing Co., Portland, Oregon
The careful combination of creamy brie, rich caramelized onions, and savory mushrooms makes this a burger to remember.
- 4 (6-ounce) Certified Piedmontese ground beef patties
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black peppercorns
- 1 cup Stout Caramelized Onions & Mushrooms (recipe follows)
- 1 cup Brie wheel cheese, sliced into 8 pieces
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup arugula
- 4 Kaiser buns
Preheat the grill to around 400°F.
Sprinkle the patties with sea salt and pepper. Grill burgers on a clean, well-oiled, preheated grate until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145°F (for a medium-rare burger).
Arrange the caramelized onion and mushroom mixture (recipe follows) on top of the patties and top with brie cheese slices. Let the cheese melt for about one minute. Spread a quarter of the mayonnaise on each top bun, and layer 2 to 3 slices of Roma tomato and some arugula on each bottom bun. Stack the beef patty on the arugula, and top with the top bun. Serve with your favorite potato salad or coleslaw.
Stout Caramelized Onions & Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups sweet onion, sliced
- 1½ Portobello mushrooms, sliced into strips
- ½ cup Laurelwood Stout or Guiness (or dark, rich beer of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black peppercorn
In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onions and sauté for five minutes, or until soft. Add mushrooms, sea salt, sugar, and black pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add stout beer and simmer until onions and mushrooms are soft and no liquid remains.