Classic Herbed Prime Rib
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
Serves 10 to 12 as a main course
- 1 Certified Piedmontese standing rib roast
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Let the roast rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Use a knife to remove the rib bones. In a bowl, combine the rosemary, thyme, parsley, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Season the rib roast liberally with the spice mix. Preheat the oven to 485°F.
Lay the roast back on the bones and use butchers twine to tie the bones back to the roast. Transfer the roast to the preheated, 485-degree oven and roast for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 200°F and allow to slow roast for 1 hour. Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the roast every 20 minutes; it should not exceed 130°F. Let the roast rest at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.