Filet Mignon with Jalapeno Butter
by Nick Leahy, Chef, Saltyard, Atlanta, Georgia
- Jalapeño Butter
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Zest of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place the jalapeños on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill for 10 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning occasionally. Alternately, this can be done over the flame of a gas cooktop. Place the jalapeños in a small paper bag, and fold tightly to seal. Let stand for 5 minutes. Peel and discard skins; cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise. Discard stem, seeds, and membranes and finely chop. Combine chopped jalapeños, butter, zest, honey, and salt in a small bowl and stir well. Let sit for at least ½ hour before using.
- For The Filet:
- ½ teaspoon chile de arbol, toasted and ground fresh
- ½ teaspoon pasilla chile, toasted and ground fresh
- ¼ teaspoon ground fresh cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons New Mexico chile, toasted and ground fresh
- 1 tablespoon smoked peppercorns, ground fresh (or substitute unsmoked peppercorns)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground fresh
- 1 tablespoon sugar in the raw, ground finely
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 4 (8-ounce) Certified Piedmontese filet mignon steaks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or another oil with neutral flavor and a high smoke point)
Combine all the spices together. Crust each side of filet in spice mixture. Heat a pan with coconut oil over high heat. Sear over high heat for two minutes on first side, until well browned and crusty. Turn over, reduce heat to medium, and add butter. Cook 3 to 4 more minutes, constantly basting with butter (or more depending on desired doneness). Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Corn Cakes
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¾ cup coarse yellow corn meal
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels removed from cobs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup sunflower oil
- 1 large egg
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, corn, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix well with a fork and make a well in the center.
In a small bowl, whisk together milk, honey, oil, and egg. Pour mixture into center of dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Do not over mix!
Heat a pan or griddle and grease with a little oil. Add ¼ cup batter per cake to the griddle and cook 2 minutes per side, till puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
To serve: Place a corncake and filet in the center of the plate, and top with a large quenelle of Jalapeño Butter. Allow to melt slightly and serve!