Flank Steak With Watercress Chimichurri
by Jeff Farmer, Chef, Lucky Restaurant, Roanoke, Virginia
- 2 (16-ounce) Certified Piedmontese flank steaks or skirt steaks
- Watercress Chimichurri
- 1½ cups chopped fresh watercress
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot (about 2 medium shallots)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoons dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
Whisk together all chimichurri ingredients and pour into a plastic bag big enough for the steaks. Add the steaks to the bag, seal, and marinate in the refrigerator for 3 to 24 hours.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove steaks from the bag, keeping the steak heavily coated with the chimichurri sauce. Grill steak over medium high heat until desired doneness.
- Sweet Potatoes
- 2 to 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Sea salt to taste
- Smoked serrano chile powder to taste
Boil the sweet potatoes until just soft but no falling apart. Drain and return to the pot. Add remaining ingredients and vigorously whip with a whisk.