French Baked Beans
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
With creamy flageolet beans and delicious summer veggies, this recipe gives baked beans an air of sophistication that takes them to a whole new level.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups cooked flageolet beans
- 2 cups diced leeks
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups 1-inch carrot sticks, blanched*
- 2 cups green beans, blanched
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon sliced chives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crème fraîche, for serving (optional)
- *To blanch beans and carrots: Prepare an ice bath. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the beans to the pot and boil for 2 to 4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove beans with a slotted spoon and plunge into the ice bath to stop the cooking process. When the beans are cooled, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a towel-lined plate. Repeat the process with the carrots.
To a large pot over medium heat, add the butter, flageolet beans, leeks, cherry tomatoes, and stock. Simmer until most of the liquid is cooked down and the mixture thickens, about 30 minutes. Add the carrots and green beans and simmer for a few more minutes. Remove from heat, add the vinegar and herbs, and season with salt and pepper to taste.