Grilled Flat Iron With Coriander-Rubbed Carrots & Chili-Gorgonzola Butter
by Jordan Strack, Deno’s Mountain Bistro, Winter Park, Colorado
This Indian and North African spice profile adds a unique twist to roasted vegetables, and pairs especially well with seared steak for an easy weeknight meal.
- 4 Certified Piedmontese flat iron steaks
- Olive oil for searing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, toasted
- 1 teaspoon celery seed, toasted
- 1 tablespoon porcini mushroom powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
Toast coriander, fennel seed, and celery seed, then transfer to a spice grinder and grind. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Roasted Carrots
- 2 pounds tri-color baby carrots
- ½ cup Coriander Vegetable Rub
- ¼ cup olive oil
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Toss carrots and spice rub with olive oil. Transfer the carrots to a sheet pan and arrange in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until the carrots develop good color on the outside and are tender. Reduce heat to 400°F oven for steaks.
- Calabrian Chili-Gorgonzola Butter
- ½ pound unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Gorgonzola cheese (room temperature)
- 10 whole Calabrian chilis, drained (depending on taste)*
- ½ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
*Calabrian chiles hail from the Calabria region of Italy, and add complex flavor and kick to recipes; they’re also very salty, so always add to taste.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the butter and Gorgonzola and pulse until smooth.
Add the chilis and blend until smooth. Add the parsley and pulse. Season to taste; note that Calabrian chilies are very salty, so taste before seasoning.
For the steak: Heat a splash of olive oil in a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Season the flat iron with salt and pepper and sear until each side has a good char. Transfer to a 400°F oven to finish cooking to desired internal temperature.
Serve each steak with the roasted carrots and a generous dollop of the compound butter.