Grilled Thai Skirt Steak With Toasted Chili Oil
by Gregory Gourdet, Chef , Departure Restaurant + Lounge, Portland, Ore.
- 2 cups fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup fish sauce
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised and chopped very, very fine
- 2 tablespoon minced ginger
- Skirt Steak 2 (16-ounce) Certified Piedmontese skirt steaks
- Chili Oil
- 1 cup dried Thai chilies
- 2 cups grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ripe avocados, diced large
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 small knob ginger, julienned
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- Mint leaves
- Cilantro leaves
Combine all ingredients and incorporate well. Reserve.
Marinate steaks in the refrigerator in 2 cups of vinaigrette overnight or at least 4 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Grill on a hot grill 2 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Let rest 5 minutes and slice against the grain.
Heat chilies, oil, and salt in a small pot until chilies are one shade brighter and fragrant. Let cool a bit and puree all ingredients in blender.
Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl and toss gently. Serve over skirt steaks. Drizzle with chili oil. Enjoy.
Pairing: Unfiltered hefeweizen-style beer, Aviation Gin and Tonic, or a Tempranillo.