Homemade Beef Stock
by Johnny Loua, Chef, Seattle, Washington
- 5 pounds Certified Piedmontese beef bones
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 ribs celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, roughly chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 5 quarts water
Preheat oven to 450°F.
On a sheet pan or roasting tray, spread out the beef bones and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes until nicely browned.
Meanwhile, in stockpot, heat the oil and sauté the vegetables until caramelized. Add herbs and beef bones and cover with water. Simmer for 12 hours. Remove from the stove and strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Let the stock sit in an ice bath to cool down, then cover and refrigerate.