Hot Pastrami Panini With Tomato Chutney
by Johnny Loua, Chef, Seattle, Washington
This recipe features a savory sandwich doused in homemade tomato chutney for a sweet-and-sour balance of flavors that's perfect for entertaining.
- ½ pound Certified Piedmontese deli-style pastrami
- 2 ounces caramelized onions
- 2 ounces Tomato Chutney (recipe follows)
- 2 slices brie cheese
- 1 ounce sautéed assorted mushrooms
- 2 slices focaccia bread
Assemble the sandwich and toast in a non-stick sauté pan until the cheese is fully melted and the bread is toasted on both sides. Halve and serve immediately.
- 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
In a saucepot over low heat, combine all ingredients and simmer for 2 hours. Refrigerate until needed.