Mashed Yukon Golds With Horseradish & Crème Fraîche
by Russ Langstadt, Chef, Wine Country Cooking Studio, Dundee, Oregon
- 3 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, cut in quarters
- 4 ounces butter, melte
- ½ cup half and half, heated
- ½ to ¾ cup prepared horseradish
- 1½ cups crème fraîche*, room temperature
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- *Crème fraîche is similar to sour cream, but has a tangier and slightly nuttier flavor. Look for it near sour cream at your grocer, or substitute sour cream with a little lemon juice added.
In a saucepan, cover the potatoes with water, salt generously, and bring to a simmer. Once fully cooked and tender, drain the potatoes well and transfer to a large bowl. Add the melted butter. Use a hand potato masher or a large wooden spoon to mash them. Potatoes should be chunky. Then add the heated half and half, horseradish, and crème fraîche and mix well by hand with a wooden spoon. Finish with salt and pepper as needed.