Mediterranean Steak & Farro Salad
- 1 cup pearled farro
- 6 ounces sweet peppers, stems and seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 squash, diced medium (optional)
- 2 cups shredded kale, lightly packed
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup pitted olives, chopped
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- Leaves from 1 bunch parsley
- 1 or 2 (16-ounce) Certified Piedmontese bavette steaks, grilled or pan-seared to desired doneness and sliced against the grain
- Mediterranean Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
To a large pot of salted, boiling water, add the farro. Cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, or until tender and chewy. Drain and return farro to pot.
To a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add the peppers, garlic, and squash and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer vegetables to the pot of farro.
Add the cheese, olives, almonds, and parsley and stir to combine. Top with steak and drizzle with Mediterranean Vinaigrette.
- Makes about 1 ½ cups
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¾ tablespoon oregano
- ¾ tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a glass jar with a lid and shake until well blended. Adjust seasoning to taste. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Shake well before using.