Mini Bison Meatloaves With Blueberry BBQ Sauce, Goat Cheese & Pickled Red Onion
by Jen Plaggemars, Registered Dietitian and Personal Chef, www.chefjen.com, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Pickled Red Onion
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds ground Great Range ground bison
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Crumbled goat cheese, for serving
Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray.
Transfer the red onion to a small bowl. In a saucepan, bring the vinegars, sugar, and salt to a boil and pour over the onion. Let cool to room temperature.
In a saucepan, combine the blueberries, jalapeño, ketchup, cider vinegar, agave, molasses, chili powder, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, combine the meatloaf ingredients: ground bison, diced onion, bell pepper, egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and salt. Mix until combined, then divide into muffin cups. Top each meatloaf with a spoonful of BBQ sauce. Bake 20 minutes, then remove from oven and let the meatloaves rest for 5 minutes. Serve each meatloaf topped with goat cheese and pickled red onion.