Molasses-Based KC-Style Barbecue Sauce
A thick sauce full of bold flavors, often the signature type of sauce found in most Kansas City barbecue establishments.
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
In large saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Store in the refrigerator until ready for use.