Moroccan Beef Kebabs With Cumin Yogurt
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
Serves 6 (as an appetizer)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 (16-ounce) packages Certified Piedmontese 85% lean ground beef
- Wooden skewers
- Canola oil, as needed for cooking
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the garlic, onion, mint, parsley, salt, paprika, pepper, chili flakes, and oil and pulse until finely minced. Combine with the ground beef and mix until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
After the mix has chilled, with damp hands, portion the ground beef into approximately 6-ounce portions and form each portion around a skewer to resemble the shape of a corn dog. Brush with canola oil and grill to desired internal temperature. Serve with Cumin Yogurt (recipe follows).
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
Combine all ingredients and stir. Serve skewers with yogurt sauce for dipping.