Porcini-Rubbed New York Strip With Charred Cauliflower & Parsnip Purée
by Jordan Strack, Deno’s Mountain Bistro, Winter Park, Colorado
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons porcini powder
- ½ tablespoon ground rosemary
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 4 (8-ounce) Certified Piedmontese New York strip steaks
In a spice or coffee grinder, combine kosher salt and sugar, then transfer to a container and mix in porcini powder, rosemary, garlic powder, paprika, and cornstarch. Pulse the pink peppercorns in the grinder until roughly chopped, then add to other ingredients and mix well.
Liberally rub the steaks with the spice mix. Grill or sear in a cast iron skillet and finish in a 400°F oven until desired doneness. Serve steaks with Charred Cauliflower & Parsnip Purée (recipe follows).
- Charred Cauliflower & Parsnip Purée
- 1 pound cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss chopped cauliflower in olive oil and salt and pepper. Evenly layer cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or until charred and tender.
In a quart of salted water, boil chopped parsnip for 15 to 20 minutes, until fork tender. Reserve water to adjust texture of purée.
Add cream, butter, and Parmigiano-Reggiano to a blender or food processor and blend. Add cauliflower and parsnips and pulse until smooth. Add reserved water if needed to create a smooth purée. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve each steak over a spread of purée and garnish with fresh thyme.
Pairing: Smith & Hook Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon is a great food wine that’s even better with a steak