by Sally Hillis, R.D., Hillis & Company, Lincoln, Neb.
- ¾ cup Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced (or substitute fresh chives for a milder salsa)
- ½ cup fresh basil, mint, or tarragon, finely chopped
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed and chopped
- ¼ cup shallot, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- ¾ cup of good quality olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
In a non-reactive bowl, mix together all ingredients except lemon juice. Salsa Verde may be prepared several hours in advance. Keep at room temperature, adding lemon juice and adjusting salt and pepper prior to serving.