Seared NY Strip With Hoisin Jus
by Gregory Gourdet, Chef , Departure Restaurant + Lounge, Portland, Ore.
- For The Hoisin Jus:
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch, mixed with 3 tablespoons water
In a small, non-reactive pot, combine all ingredients cold and whisk well. Gently heat to a simmer, whisking often. Simmer until thickened to sauce consistency.
- For The Vegetables:
- 1 pound shitake mushrooms, stemmed and halved
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces, whites and greens separated
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 medium knob ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 small red jalapeño, sliced
- Olive oil
In a large, hot pan, heat oil and sear mushrooms until golden. Season with salt and a pinch of pepper. Add scallion whites and a pinch of salt. Add garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant and golden. Add scallion greens and cook on high heat until bright green and a bit charred. Add jalapeño, toss in pan and set aside.
- For The Steak:
- 4 (8-ounce) Certified Piedmontese New York strip steaks
- Drizzle of grape seed oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro, for garnish
In a large pan, heat oil. Season steaks generously with salt and pepper. Sear for 1 minute on each side. Finish in a 350°F degree oven for 2 minutes or until internal temperature reaches desired doneness. Remove the steaks from the pan and let rest 6 minutes. To plate, slice steak and glaze lightly with Hoisin Jus. Top with shitake mixture, garnish with cilantro. Enjoy.
Pairing: Lagunitas India Pale Ale, or Domaine Drouhin Burgundy