Seared Steak With Diane Sauce
by Johnny Loua, Chef, Seattle, Washington
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 4 (8-ounce) Certified Piedmontese flat iron steaks
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ cup finely chopped shallots
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons dry Sherry
- Additional salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon salt and black pepper evenly over each steak. Add steaks to pan and cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Remove from pan, cover, and keep warm.
Melt butter in the same pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add water, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and Sherry. Stir with a whisk. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 minute. Season with salt. To serve, spoon sauce over steaks and sprinkle with parsley.