Sirloin Steak & Rice Noodle Salad
by Greg Hardesty, Chef , Recess and Room Four Restaurants, Indianapolis, Ind.
- 2 (10-ounce) Certified Piedmontese sirloin steaks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked rice noodles, prepared according to package instructions
- ½ cup carrots, julienned
- ½ cup radishes, julienned
- 3 tablespoons sliced jalapenos, preferably red
- 6 scallions (green and white parts), sliced thin on the bias
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil combined with 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup cashews, chopped
Preheat a grill to high heat.
Season the beef with salt and pepper. Grill steaks for about 4 minutes on each side, for medium-rare. Remove the beef and let rest for 5 minutes.
While the beef is resting, toss the noodles, carrots, scallions, jalapenos, cilantro, basil, and vinaigrette together in a large bowl. Slice the beef as thinly as possible and add it to the noodle salad. Divide the noodles and beef into four large pasta bowls. Spoon any of the vinaigrette that is left in the bowl on top of the noodles. Drizzle each bowl with the combined oils. Garnish with chopped cashews and serve.
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (4-inch) knob ginger, peeled
- ¼ cup sugar
- Juice of 4 limes
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, and then strain through a fine mesh sieve. Set aside.
Pairing: White Burgundy