Southwest Green Chile Burger
by Jayson Eggers, Chef , Blanc Burgers + Bottles, Leawood, Kan.
- 2 pounds Certified Piedmontese ground beef
- 2 whole green chiles, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 onion hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- 1 teaspoon toasted ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon toasted ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Preheat grill to high, at least 400°F.
Combine beef with the southwest rub until seasonings are well dispersed. Divide the ground beef mixture into four 8-ounce portions and form into patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Place burgers on the hot grill for about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip the burgers and continue grilling for about another 5 minutes.
While the burgers are on the grill, slice each green chili into four pieces.
Top each burger with two pieces of green chile and a slice of pepperjack cheese; continue grilling for another minute, until cheese is melted.
Please note: Certified Piedmontese® beef cooks faster than other beef, so when grilling be careful not to overcook. A kitchen thermometer inserted into the patty should read 125°F for medium.
To assemble your burger, spread one tablespoon of crème fraiche or sour cream on the bottom bun. Top the cream with 1/4 cup of the red onion. Place grilled beef patty on top of the red onion. Top the beef patty with 1/2 cup of chopped romaine. Lean the bun against your burger for a nice presentation.
Pairing: A light pilsner will go well with the spiciness of this burger.