Spice-Crusted Cowboy Ribeye With Chili-Orange Glazed Carrots
by Gregory Gourdet, Chef , Departure Restaurant + Lounge, Portland, Ore.
For The Spice Crust:
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon allspice
Toast spices in a pan, shaking over medium-high heat until fragrant. Grind to medium coarseness.
For The Cowboy Ribeye:
- 2 Certified Piedmontese cowboy cut ribeye steaks
- 1 small bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small knob ginger, peeled and julienned
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
Season steaks generously with salt and spice mix. Heat grapeseed oil in a pan until just smoking hot. Sear steaks for 2 minutes on each side. Finish cooking in a 350°F oven until cooked to desired temperature, 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steak from pan and rest 10 minutes. Wipe out steak pan and add scallions, garlic, and ginger. Cook over high heat to char quickly. Season with a pinch of salt. Cover steaks with aromatics and serve with the glazed carrots (recipe follows).
For the Chili-Orange Glaze:
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 dried Thai chili, sliced thin
- Orange zest
- 1 ½ pounds baby carrots, weighed with tops trimmed, peeled and washed
- Olive oil
In a small sauce pan, cook sugar and water over medium heat until sugar caramelizes and turns golden. Do not stir, which will cause the sugar to crystallize. Add all other ingredients and simmer until it reaches a light glaze consistency. Season with a pinch of salt and orange zest.
Pairing: Ninkasi Brewing Company’s Sleigh’r, a Maker’s Mark Manhattan, or Stags’ Leap Petite Syrah