Strip Steak With Pesto Pasta
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
- 2 (8-ounce) Certified Piedmontese New York strip steaks
- 3 ounces fresh basil
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for steaks
- 1 pound whole-grain penne or linguine pasta
- 1 ounce fresh Italian parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, as needed
Preheat a grill to medium-high. Season the steaks with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper and set aside. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the fresh basil, Parmesan, garlic cloves, and salt and pulse a few times. Add the olive oil and pulse until combined.
Heat a large pot of water to a boil and season generously with salt. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Meanwhile, grill the steaks to desired doneness and set aside to rest. Once the pasta is finished cooking, drain about 95% of the pasta water, add the pesto to the pasta, and mix well. Slice the steaks and serve.